Monday, July 13, 2009

Backpacking the Continental Divide Trail to Haynach

I needed to get out of the city part of the park for a bit, recruit the sights and sounds of isolation to cleanse my inner sense of self marred by absurd doubts and fears at work and in relationships. I left the day before the 4th, expecting to carry on for several days and complete the west side section of the Continental Divide Trail, which eschews for the most part steep and rugged terrain. There is a section that ascends to Flattop Mountain, a 1000+ foot gain over 1.5 miles, and crosses the mountain at high elevation for 5 or so miles, then descends back to low elevation in less than a mile with switchbacks. I would have completed the whole trail if the weather did not promise lightning when I would be above treeline. So, I camped at the base of Flattop at a little llama packing site called Haynach.


It took me a long time to choose my campsite as there was a high risk of lightning storms that night and I wanted to take every precaution to not tent under
dead trees or in an open area.... or on snow. It started raining heavily while I was deciding this and I ended up getting soaked. Being soaked in a cold and damp tent is a miserable thing, so I persevered for 2 hours to shake-dry my hair. Several brooks babbled nearby, obscuring the sound of thunder in the distance that perks my ears instinctively and makes my intestines coil. The solitude of this journey and the hours before sundown allowed me to reflect on how much we all rely on ourselves for our strength and self-love. Being alone, I gave myself permission to verbally thank everything I take for granted- my higher power, my parents, my brother, family, and myself.

In the early morning I did a bit of exploring and found this gorgeous view (above) right outside my camping area.
As I often backpack alone, it's hard to take pictures of myself, so I prefer to take pictures of my shadow. The following are the rest of the photos of the trip.

Saved the best for last... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment